Saint Louis 3, Davidson 1 (25-23, 25-21, 17-25, 25-13)
Sunday, Sept. 30 | St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Pavilion)
• Saint Louis got 22 kills from Maya Taylor and 30 digs from Cayce Chaykowsky and defeated Davidson 3-1 Sunday afternoon at Chaifetz Pavilion, giving the Billikens their first Atlantic 10 Conference victory of the season.
• The Billikens improved to 2-14 overall and 1-3 in league play. Davidson fell to 7-7, 1-3.
After Davidson scored the first six points, Saint Louis gradually overcame its deficit and took a 17-15 lead. Later, a 6-2 Wildcats’ run evened the set at 23, but the Billikens tallied the next two points to claim the set.
The set was characterized by scoring runs. Davidson again started fast, this time grabbing a 5-1 lead, and SLU responded with an 8-1 spurt for a 9-6 advantage. The Wildcats answered with five consecutive points, only to see the Billikens take the lead for good, 14-12, with a 5-1 flurry. Davidson pulled to within a point three times, but Saint Louis took command with a 4-0 run for a 21-16 edge on its way to a 2-0 match lead.
The Billikens overcame another 5-1 deficit to tie the set 8-8, but the Wildcats scored the next three points and gradually pulled away.
This time it was Saint Louis sprinting out of the gate as the Billikens scored the first five points. SLU’s first double-digit cushion was 15-5, and the Bills cruised home from there.
• Saint Louis posted season highs of 83 digs and nine blocks. The Billikens outblocked the Wildcats 9-3.
• SLU earned a .264 to .188 advantage in attack percentage.
• Taylor established career highs of 22 kills and four service aces. The 22 kills are SLU’s season high, while the four aces match the team’s season best. She hit .400 (22-4-45) and added nine digs.
• Chaykowsky’s 30 digs are her career high and the Billikens’ season high.
• Sara Daniels registered a career-high .727 attack percentage (8-0-11), equaled her career high of eight kills and added three blocks.
• Giovanna Charles turned in career bests of nine kills and three blocks.
• Lauren Mershon tied the SLU season high of five blocks.
• Isabelle Walsh’s four blocks tied her career best. Walsh also had nine kills and seven digs.
• Katia Haak matched her season high of nine digs.
• Kennedy Cordia had 42 assists and 14 digs, her fifth double-double of the season.
• Sien Gallop collected 10 digs.
The Billikens play La Salle in Philadelphia Friday, Oct. 5. Match time is 6 p.m. (CT).