Duquesne 3, Saint Louis 1 (25-20, 22-25, 25-23, 25-20)
Sunday, Oct. 7 | Pittsburgh, Pa. (A.J. Palumbo Center)
• Saint Louis dropped a closely contested Atlantic 10 Conference volleyball match, 3-1 (25-20, 22-25, 25-23, 25-20), to Duquesne Sunday afternoon at the A.J. Palumbo Center.
• SLU slipped to 2-16 overall and 1-5 in the A-10. Duquesne improved to 7-11, 2-4.
Following the set’s fourth tie, 10-10, Duquesne took command with a 6-0 run. SLU twice narrowed the margin to three in the late stages but was not able to overtake the Dukes.
The set was tied nine times, and neither team led by more than three points until Saint Louis put together a 5-1 run for a 23-19 advantage. Duquesne tallied three of the next four points to cut the lead in half, but the Billikens held on to even the match.
After SLU jumped out to a 5-2 lead, Duquesne used a 7-1 spurt to go on top 9-6. The Billikens recovered to knot the set 9-9, and there would be 11 more ties before Duquesne scored the final two points.
The Dukes went in front for good at 3-2 and gradually built their lead to 22-13. The Billikens rallied, scoring five straight and seven of eight points to close to 23-20, but Duquesne held off the charge.
• The Billikens matched their season high of nine blocks.
• Giovanna Charles and Maya Taylor tied for match-high honors with 13 kills apiece.
• Isabelle Walsh and Sara Daniels collected five blocks apiece, a career high for both players.
• Cayce Chaykowsky turned in a team-high 19 digs.
• Sien Gallop had a season-high 15 digs.
• Kennedy Cordia narrowly missed a double-double, recording 45 assists and nine digs.
The Billikens host Rhode Island Friday, Oct. 12, at 7 p.m.