Saint Louis 3, Middle Tennessee State 1 (25-22, 25-17, 21-25, 25-22)
Friday, Aug. 30 | St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Pavilion)
• Saint Louis took a 3-1 win in four sets Friday in its opening match of the Marcia E. Hamilton Classic.
• The Billikens are now 1-0 on the season, while Middle Tennessee State falls to 0-1 .
It was back-and-forth at the start before Saint Louis pulled away at the very end, taking the last five points and winning by a score of 25-22. The opening set saw thirteen ties and seven lead changes.
The Billikens took six of the first seven points to jump out to an early lead, eventually taking the second frame 25-17. Middle Tennessee State was able able to tie the game at nine, but SLU scored the following four points.
The third frame saw only one tie score at four points, and the Blue Raiders had the lead from there. They took the set 25-21.
In another back-and-forth battle that saw six tie scores and three lead changes, SLU was able to take the set 25-22 and the match 3-1.
• Maya Taylor led the way for the Billikens, earning a match-high 20 kills (.400) on the evening.
• Kennedy Cordia recorded 44 assists (.473).
• Taylor also had a match-high 15 digs.
• Lauren Mershon and Juliana Phillips had eight kills each.
• Emily Imo and Sien Gallop had SLU’s only two services aces.
The Billikens will compete in a double-header in day two of the Marcia E. Hamilton Classic, squaring off with Southern Illinois at noon and Portland State at 7 p.m.