Saint Louis 7
George Mason 2
Friday, May 19 | Fairfax, Va. (Spuhler Field)
Trailing 2-1 with the bases loaded and two outs in the top of the eighth inning, Saint Louis junior Alex King stole home to tie the game and spark a SLU rally. The Billikens topped George Mason 7-2 on the road, securing a spot in the Atlantic 10 Conference championship next weekend. The win moves Saint Louis to 32-19 overall and 12-9 in Atlantic 10 games.
WP – Sean Frontzak (3-2) 2.0 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 3 K
LP – Zach Mort (3-6) 7.2 IP, 4 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 5 K
SLU SCORING SUMMARY
T1 – Reeser hits sacrifice fly to center field. Case scores
T8 – King steals home.
Case scores on wild pitch.
Morisano singles to left field. Reeser and Sniatynski score.
T9 – Dubet homers to left field. King also scores.
- With the win, Saint Louis secures a spot in next week's Atlantic 10 Conference championship. The Billikens at 12-9 can finish no lower than fifth place.
- Leadoff man Aaron Case was 2-for-4 with two runs scored and a double.
- James Morisano went 2-for-3 with two RBIs
- In addition to the steal of home, Alex King was 2-for-4 with a pair of runs scored.
- Cole Dubet was 1-for-4, but hit his third home run of the season and his second in two weeks.
- Starting pitcher Devin Mahoney threw five innings, striking out six and allowing one run.
- Sean Frontzak threw in relief, earning the win. He struck out three of the nine batters he faced.
- Brett Shimanovsky entered with a runner on first in the eighth and earned his seventh pickoff of the season. He is one off of SLU's single season record of eight pickoffs.
- Charlie Sheehan threw the ninth inning, hanging a zero on the scoreboard and sealing the win. He has now thrown eight consecutive shutout innings over his last six appearances.
Saint Louis looks to complete the sweep at George Mason tomorrow with a noon first pitch.