BILLIKEN VOLLEYBALL: Saint Louis at BYU Invitational
WHEN: August 25-26, 2017 | BYU (8/25 at 1 p.m.) | Ohio State (8/25 at 6:30 p.m.) | UTRGV (8/26 at Noon)
WHERE: Provo, Utah
WHO: Saint Louis, #10 BYU, #21 Ohio State, UTRGV
SLU-BYU SERIES: BYU leads all-time series 2-0 | BYU won last meeting 3-0 (17-25, 11-25, 14-25) [9/14/17]
SLU-OSU SERIES: First Meeting
SLU-UTRGV SERIES: Saint Louis leads all-time series 3-0 | SLU won
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS
• Saint Louis opens the 2017 season
• The Billikens return four starters and the libero from last year's team that fell in five sets in the A-10 Championship match.
• Mackenzie Long returns as the team's libero. She led the Billikens with 423 digs (3.55 per set) last year.
• SLU also returns Nenye Okoro, who was hampered by injury last year. Okoro posted 2.00 kills per set last year and has 681 career kills and 740 career digs.
• The Billikens have two setters on
• Saint Louis has two new outside hitters this season in transfer Sien Gallop and freshman Maya Taylor. Gallop comes to SLU from Pacific and Taylor was a four-time All-State performer at Idaho Falls.
• The Billikens are led by head coach Kent Miller in his seventh season at the helm. He has a 99-84 mark at SLU.
A LOOK AT THE #10 COUGARS
• BYU returns five starters from last year's team that won its third-consecutive WCC title and earned a No. 8 ranking in the final AVCA national poll.
• BYU relies on 2016 WCC Freshman of the Year McKenna Miller, who compiled 3.89 kills per set last year.
• Lyndie Haddock returns as the Cougar setter after recording 10.26 assists per set in 2016.
• The BYU libero will be Mary Lake, who set a Cougar record with 4.68 digs per set last year.
• Heather Olmstead enters her third year as the head coach at BYU. She has a 57-8 career mark as the BYU head coach.
A LOOK AT THE #21 BUCKEYES
• Ohio State finished the 2016 season with a 22-13 record, earning a bid to the NCAA tournament, falling in the regional semifinals.
• Junior Audra Appold (349 kills, 2.96 per set) and senior Luisa Schirmer (364 kills, 2.76 per set) return as the top attackers for OSU.
• Junior setter Taylor Hughes posted 9.57 assists per set last season.
• Ohio State is led by head coach Geoff Carlston, who enters his 10th season with the Buckeyes.
• Former SLU assistant coach Ben Spurlock is in his first year as an assistant at Ohio State.
A LOOK AT UTRGV
• UTRGV (formerly Texas-Pan American) finished last season 21-14, advancing to the NCAA tournament first round.
• The Vaqueros won the 2016 WAC tournament championship, the first No. 5 seed to accomplish the feat.
• UTRGV is led by the duo of Bojana Mitrovic (WAC Preseason Player of the Year) and Ragni Steen Knudsen (
• Mitrovic is one of the top defensive players in UTRGV history. She has 146 career block assists and 158 total blocks (12th all-time at UTRGV).
• Knudson had 471 kills with a .229 hitting percentage in 2016.