Saint Louis (7-6, 0-0 A-10) at La Salle (6-7, 0-0 A-10)
Saturday, Dec. 30, 2017 | 1 p.m. (CT) | Philadelphia, Pa. (Gola Arena)
TV: None (free HD stream on the A-10 Digital Network)
Radio: 101 ESPN (Bob Ramsey, Earl Austin Jr.)
Online Coverage: A-10 Digital Network stream | Live Stats | @SaintLouisMBB on Twitter
++ SLU Game Notes ++
SETTING THE SCENE
– Saint Louis opens Atlantic 10 Conference play on Saturday afternoon when it travels to Philadelphia to take on La Salle. Game time at Gola Arena is 1 p.m. (CT).
– Saturday’s game will not be televised, however it will be streamed free of charge (and in HD) on the A-10 Digital Network.
– The radio broadcast will air on 101 ESPN (101.1 FM and 101Sports.com). As always, Billiken Hall of Famer Bob Ramsey provides the play-by-play, while St. Louis American Sports Editor Earl Austin Jr. handles the analysis.
– Saint Louis enters Saturday’s game against La Salle with a 7-6 record.
– The Billikens completed nonconference play with a winning record for the first time since the 2014-15 season.
– In their last outing Dec. 22, the Billikens rolled to a 30-point win against Southeast Missouri. Davell Roby led four players in double figures with 23 points. Javon Bess registered a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds.
– Freshman guard Jordan Goodwin is the reigning Atlantic 10 Conference Rookie of the Week. He scored 16 points against Campbell and 20 against SEMO. In the last three games, Goodwin is averaging 19.3 ppg and shooting 59 percent from the field.
– Junior guard Javon Bess continues to lead the team in scoring, averaging 13.6 ppg. Through games of Dec. 27, he led the league and ranked in the top 15 nationally in free throws made (77) and attempted (101).
– Freshman guard Jordan Goodwin leads the Billikens in rebounds (89), assists (49) and steals (29). He is tied for first among freshmen in the NCAA in steals.
– Freshman forward Hasahn French is second in the Atlantic 10 Conference with 26 blocks (2.2/game). His 26 blocks are eighth in school history for most blocks in a season by a freshman. French is tied with Goodwin for the team lead in rebounding average with 6.8 rpg.
– As a team, Saint Louis is second in the Atlantic 10 Conference in scoring defense, allowing 65.2 ppg. Opponents shoot 41.6 percent from the field against SLU, the third lowest percentage in the A-10.
– The Billikens will stay on the road prior to their next game on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2018, at Davidson.
– La Salle University (Philadelphia) enters Saturday's A-10 opener with a 6-7 overall record.
– The Explorers are led in scoring and rebounding by forward B.J. Johnson, who averages 21.8 ppg and 9.1 rpg. He is tied for the A-10 lead in scoring.
– Guard Pookie Powell is the team leader in assists with 42. He averages 17.1 ppg.
– Head coach Dr. John Giannini is in his 14th season at La Salle. He has a 205-214 record with the Explorers and a 29-year career record of 498-362.
– The Billikens lead the all-time series 12-8. SLU and La Salle split a home-and-home series last year, with each team winning on its home court. The Billikens and Explorers will play again this season at Chaifetz Arena on Saturday, Feb. 10.