Saint Louis vs. Richmond
Saturday, Jan. 6, 2018 | 7 p.m. | St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Arena)
TV: FOX Sports Midwest (Dan McLaughlin, Scott Highmark) (channel listings)
Radio: 101 ESPN (Bob Ramsey, Earl Austin Jr.)
Online Coverage: A-10 Digital Network stream (info) | FOX Sports Go App stream (info) | Live Stats | @SaintLouisMBB on Twitter
++ SLU Game Notes ++
SETTING THE SCENE
– Saint Louis opens a two-game Atlantic 10 Conference homestand Saturday night when it hosts Richmond at Chaifetz Arena. Game time is 7 p.m.
– Saturday’s game will be televised on FOX Sports Midwest. Dan McLaughlin and Scott Highmark are on the call.
– The radio broadcast will air on 101 ESPN (101.1 FM and 101Sports.com). As always, Billiken Hall of Famer Bob Ramsey provides the play-by-play, while St. Louis American Sports Editor Earl Austin Jr. handles the analysis.
– Saint Louis enters Saturday’s game against Richmond 7-8 overall and 0-2 in Atlantic 10 Conference play.
– The Billikens are coming off an A-10 road trip that saw them fall at La Salle and at Davidson. Against the Wildcats in the Billikens’ last outing, SLU let an 11-point halftime lead slip away in a 54-51 loss.
– Freshman guard Jordan Goodwin is one of 15 players nationally and the only freshman to lead his team in rebounding avg. (7.1 rpg), assists (52) and steals (34).
– Over the last five games, Goodwin is averaging 16.2 ppg and 7.8 rpg. He is also shooting 50 percent (32-of-64) from the field.
– Junior guard Javon Bess continues to lead the team in scoring, averaging 13.3 ppg. Through games of Jan. 3, he led the league and ranked in the top 20 nationally in free throws made (20th, 87 FTM) and attempted (11th, 117 FTA).
– Freshman forward Hasahn French is second in the Atlantic 10 Conference with 27 blocks. His 27 blocks are eighth in school history for most blocks in a season by a freshman. French is second on the Billikens with 6.4 rpg.
– Senior guard Davell Roby is getting closer to becoming the 31st Billiken to score 1,000 points in a career. He sits at 934 career points. If he scores at his current average of 10.1 ppg, he’ll reach the 1000-point barrier in late January.
– As a team, Saint Louis is second in the Atlantic 10 Conference in scoring defense, allowing 65.6 ppg. Opponents shoot 42.4 percent from the field against SLU, the third lowest percentage in the A-10.
– Up next, SLU hosts A-10 leader Rhode Island at Chaifetz Arena Tuesday in an early 6 p.m. tip.
– The University of Richmond is 3-11 overall record and 1-1 in the Atlantic 10 Conference. The Spiders defeated Davidson and lost to Fordham in A-10 play so far this season.
– Sophomore guard De'Monte Buckingham, the reigning Atlantic 10 Conference Rookie of the Year, averages 12.8 ppg and a team-leading 7.4 rpg.
– Freshman forward Grant Golden leads the Spiders with 14.2 ppg. He adds 6.3 rpg and a team-best 19 blocked shots.
– Sophomore guard Nick Sherod and freshman guard Jacob Gilyard score 10.5 ppg and 9.9 ppg, respectively.
– Head coach Chris Mooney is in his 13th year at Richmond. He ranks fifth all-time in A-10 wins by a head coach, trailing only John Chaney (Temple), Phil Martelli (Saint Joseph’s), Gale Catlett (West Virginia) and Jim Baron (St. Bonaventure/Rhode Island).
– The series is tied 7-7, but Richmond has won the last three meetings.