Saint Louis vs. VCU
Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2018 | 8 p.m. (CT) | St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Arena)
TV: CBS Sports Network (Brent Stover, Bob Wenzel)
Radio: 101 ESPN (Bob Ramsey, Earl Austin Jr.)
Online Coverage: Live Stats | @SaintLouisMBB on Twitter
++ SLU Game Notes ++
SETTING THE SCENE
– Saint Louis hosts VCU on Tuesday night at Chaifetz Arena. Game time is set for 8 p.m.
– Tuesday’s game will be nationally televised on CBS Sports Network. Brent Stover and Bob Wenzel are on the call.
– The radio broadcast will air on 101 ESPN (101.1 FM and 101Sports.com). As always, Billiken Hall of Famer Bob Ramsey provides the play-by-play, while St. Louis American Sports Editor Earl Austin Jr. handles the analysis.
– Saint Louis has won two in a row and enters Tuesday’s matchup against VCU with a 10-10 overall record and a 3-4 mark in Atlantic 10 Conference play.
– The Billikens are coming off a 66-47 win at UMass on Jan. 20. It was the first road win of the season for the Billikens and the first win on the road since Jan. 14 of last year.
– Freshmen Hasahn French and Jordan Goodwin recorded double-doubles in the UMass game, the first time in school history that two rookies posted a double-double in the same game.
– Jordan Goodwin is the reigning A-10 co-Rookie of the Week. Last week in wins against Duquesne and UMass, he averaged 16.0 ppg, 12.5 rpg and 9.0 apg. He registered the program’s first triple-double in the Duquesne game, going for 13 points, 15 rebounds and 10 assists.
– Senior guard Davell Roby became the 31st Billiken to reach 1,000 career points when he converted a layup in the second half against Duquesne. Amazingly, the 1,000th point came on Goodwin’s triple-double-clinching assist. Roby is SLU’s active leading scorer with 1,014 career points.
– Junior guard Javon Bess continues to lead the team in scoring, averaging 12.8 ppg. He leads the A-10 in FT made (104) and attempted (141).
– Freshman forward Hasahn French is second in the A-10 with 36 blocks. He is third in school history for most blocks in a season by a freshman.
– Junior forward D.J. Foreman leads all A-10 players in FG percentage in A-10 games (.737, 28-of-38).
– The Billiken lead the A-10 in scoring defense (65.7) and FT attempts (477).
– Up next, SLU hosts Dayton on Saturday afternoon in a 3 p.m. tip at Chaifetz Arena.
– Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond, Virginia) enters Tuesday’s game with a 12-8 overall record and a 4-3 mark in the Atlantic 10 Conference.
– The Rams are coming off an 87-63 home victory against George Washington. Senior forward Justin Tillman and sophomore guard De’Riante Jenkins scored a team-high 18 points apiece.
– Tillman leads VCU with 17.9 ppg and 9.5 rpg. He is seventh in the A-10 in scoring and second in rebounding. In A-10 games only, Tillman’s 11.7 rpg leads the league.
– Jenkins is second on the Rams in scoring with 13.2 ppg. He has drained a team-leading 47 3-pointers. In A-10 games only, he is shooting 50 percent (19-38) from the arc.
– Also scoring in double figures for VCU are sophomore forward Issac Vann and senior guard Jonathan Williams, who score 10.6 ppg apiece. Williams leads the A-10 in assists, dishing out 5.8 per contest.
– The Rams are second in the A-10 in scoring offense with 77.2 ppg. The Rams are first in the league in rebounding margin at +3.0. Saint Louis is second with a rebounding margin of +2.8.
– Head coach Mike Rhoades is in his first season at VCU. The former VCU assistant coach (2009-14) spent the last three years at Rice.
This will be the 12th all-time meeting between the Billikens and Rams. VCU leads the all-time series 8-3 and has won six in a row. The Billikens knocked off VCU 62-56 to win the 2013 Atlantic 10 Conference Championship at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.