WOMEN’S BASKETBALL PREVIEW: Lipscomb at Saint Louis
WHEN: Sunday, Dec. 17, 2017 • 2 p.m. CST
WHERE: Chaifetz Arena • St. Louis, Missouri
RECORDS: SLU 4-7; Lipscomb 2-9
SLU-LIPSCOMB SERIES: SLU leads 2-0
SLU-LIPSCOMB LAST MEETING: SLU 83, at Lipscomb 38 (12/29/16) RECAP
BILLIKENS’ LAST GAME: at Missouri 70, SLU 58 (Dec. 8) RECAP
LADY BISONS’ LAST GAME: at Tennessee State 71, Lipscomb 64 (Dec. 15) RECAP
UP NEXT FOR THE BILLIKENS: Tulsa • Tuesday, Dec. 19 • 5 p.m. CST • Chaifetz Arena
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS
• Following a nine-day break from competition, Saint Louis plays the first of three consecutive home games Sunday, Dec. 17, when the Billikens host Lipscomb (Nashville, Tennessee) of the Atlantic Sun Conference.
• Sunday's game is the first of two games in a three-day span that will conclude the Billikens' nonconference slate. SLU hosts Tulsa Tuesday at 5 p.m.
• Jackie Kemph leads SLU in scoring (15.1 ppg), assists (7.0 apg), assist-turnover ratio (2.26), free throws made (47), free throw attempts (59) and minutes (38.3 mpg). Kemph has scored in double figures in all but one game this year and has made 20 of her last 23 free throws.
• A two-time A-10 Player of the Year, Kemph owns SLU's career assists record (738). She is No. 2 in points (1,546, needs 40 for the record) and free throws made (379, needs 28 for the record) on the Bills' career lists. Kemph has started every game of her collegiate career.
• Maddison Gits is closing in on a double-digit scoring average (9.8 ppg) and is SLU's leading rebounder (8.5 rpg). Gits' .541 field goal shooting mark includes 19-of-27 (.704) over the last four games; she was 6-of-7 vs. Missouri and 8-of-9 vs. Vanderbilt. She has shot at least 50 percent in seven games and has been one basket shy of the 50-percent mark four times.
• Aaliyah Covington is third on the team in scoring with 9.4 points per game. Covington has at least one 3-point field goal in each of the last eight games and is SLU's leader in free throw percentage (.813).
• After averaging 5.6 rebounds in the first five games, Jenny Vliet owns a 9.3 board average over the last six outings. Vliet leads SLU in offensive rebounding (2.5 orpg), is second in overall rebounding (7.6 rpg) and averages 8.2 points. She leads the team in steals (14) and is tied for the team lead in 3-pointers (15).
• Jordyn Frantz carries a 7.3 scoring average and is tied for the team lead in 3-pointers (15). Frantz is second on the team in assist-turnover ratio (2.23).
• Tara Dusharm leads the Billikens in field goal percentage (.571). Dusharm averaged 10 points and seven rebounds in SLU's two most recent outings at Washington State and at Missouri.
• Sixth-year head coach Lisa Stone takes a 94-77 record at Saint Louis into the Lipscomb game. Now in her 32nd season overall as a collegiate head coach, Stone owns a 597-314 career mark.
A LOOK AT THE LADY BISONS
• Lipscomb brings a five-game losing streak into Sunday’s game.
• The Lady Bisons returned 11 players from last year’s team that was 6-24 overall and 3-11 (sixth) in the Atlantic Sun Conference.
• For a second straight year, senior guard Loren Cagle joined SLU’s Jackie Kemph on the Nancy Lieberman Award (nation’s top point guard) Watch List. Cagle leads Lipscomb in scoring (14.6 ppg), assists (4.6 apg), steals (1.9 spg) and 3-point field goal percentage (.404).
• Redshirt-freshman forward Emily Kmec averages 9.8 points and has a team-high 30 3-pointers.
• Senior forward Riley Northway scores 9.0 points per game and pulls down a team-high 4.8 rebounds per game.