WOMEN’S BASKETBALL PREVIEW: Vanderbilt at Saint Louis
WHEN: Wednesday, Nov. 29, 2017 • 7 p.m. CST
WHERE: Chaifetz Arena • St. Louis, Missouri
RECORDS: SLU 3-4; Vanderbilt 1-6
SLU-VANDERBILT SERIES: Vanderbilt leads 3-0
SLU-VANDERBILT LAST MEETING: at Vanderbilt 75, SLU 57 (11/24/14) RECAP
BILLIKENS’ LAST GAME: LSU 71, SLU 59 (Nov. 25) RECAP
COMMODORES’ LAST GAME: Wisconsin 73, Vanderbilt 71 (OT) (Nov. 25) RECAP
UP NEXT FOR THE BILLIKENS: Little Rock • Friday, Dec. 1 • 7 p.m. CST • Chaifetz Arena
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS
• Saint Louis plays four of its final six nonconference games at home, a stretch that begins Wednesday, Nov. 29, as the Billikens host Vanderbilt of the Southeastern Conference.
• The Commodores are the third of four SEC opponents on the 2017-18 SLU schedule. The Billikens are 1-1 so far, defeating Ole Miss 79-64 and falling to LSU 71-59.
• Jackie Kemph leads Saint Louis in scoring (16.0 ppg), assists (7.4 apg), assist-turnover ratio (2.26), free throws made (37), free throw attempts (46) and minutes (38.3 mpg). Kemph is averaging 9.0 assists and shooting 50 percent (6-of-12) from 3-point distance over her last three games.
• Kemph is on the Nancy Lieberman Award (top Division I point guard) Watch List for a second consecutive season. The two-time A-10 Player of the Year owns Saint Louis' career assists record (713) and is No. 2 in free throws made (369, needs 38 for the record) and No. 3 in points (1,492, needs 94 for the record) on the Billikens' career lists.
• Aaliyah Covington has moved into second place on the Billikens' scoring chart with 9.7 points per game. Covington is averaging 12.3 points while shooting 50 percent (18-of-36) from the field over her last four games. She is 7-of-15 (47 percent) from beyond the arc in her last three outings.
• Maddison Gits averages 9.3 points and is SLU's leader in rebounding (9.6 rpg) and offensive rebounding (2.4 orpg). Gits also leads the team with eight blocks.
• Jordyn Frantz carries a 9.0 scoring average and leads the Billikens in 3-pointers (14) and 3-point field goal percentage (.452).
• At the South Point Shootout last week, Jenny Vliet averaged 15.5 points and 10.0 rebounds, shot 55 percent (12-of-22) from the field overall and connected on 42 percent (5-of-12) from 3-point range. Vliet improved her scoring average to 8.6. She is second on the team in rebounding (6.9 rpg) and offensive rebounding (2.3 orpg), and she leads the Billikens in steals (10).
• After a slow start, Saint Louis has begun to find the mark from beyond the arc. The Billikens have made at least six 3-pointers in each of their last five outings, including a season-high 11 vs. Cleveland State.
• Sixth-year head coach Lisa Stone takes a 93-74 record at Saint Louis into the Vanderbilt game. Now in her 32nd season overall as a collegiate head coach, Stone owns a 596-311 career mark.
A LOOK AT THE COMMODORES
• Four starters and four additional letter winners returned from Vanderbilt’s 2016-17 team that finished 14-16 overall and 4-12 (tied for 11th) in the SEC.
• The Commodores’ only win this season is a 69-59 victory at George Washington, one of Saint Louis’ fellow Atlantic 10 Conference members.
• Senior guard Rachel Bell leads the Commodores in scoring (13.6 ppg) and 3-pointers (16-of-34, .471). Freshman guard Chelsie Hall averages 12.4 points and leads Vandy with eight steals, while senior guard Christa Reed carries a 9.4 scoring average that has been helped by a 14-of-15 performance from the free throw line.
• Freshman forward Autumn Newby leads the squad in rebounding (6.0 rpg). Sophomore guard Kaleigh Clemons-Green averages a team-high 3.3 assists.