Saint Louis 4, Rhode Island 1
Sunday, Sept. 22,
URI Soccer Complex | Kingston, Rhode Island
• Evie Lavelle scored the first goal of the game and assisted on a later tally to lead Saint Louis to a 4-1 victory over Rhode Island Sunday afternoon in the Atlantic 10 Conference opener for both teams.
• The Billikens, who recorded their season scoring high, improved to 6-3-1 overall and extended their unbeaten streak to four. Rhode Island slipped to 3-4-2.
Evie Lavelle (Alyssa Seitzer), 21:12, SLU 1-0; Hannah Friedrich (unassisted), 47:08, SLU 2-0; Alli Klug (Evie Lavelle), 58:32, SLU 3-0; Brionna Halverson (Abbie Miller), 61:54, SLU 4-0; Brooke Cavino (unassisted), 68:00, SLU 4-1
• Saint Louis won its conference opener for a third consecutive year.
• The Billikens have a 14-game winning streak vs. A-10 opponents.
• SLU defeated Rhode Island for a seventh straight time and increased its series lead over the Rams to 12-2.
• Evie Lavelle collected her first goal of the season and her team-leading fourth assist of the year.
• Hannah Friedrich's goal was her team-high fourth of the season and a league-best third game-winning goal.
• Alli Klug scored her second goal of 2019, collaborating with Lavelle for a second time this season.
• Brionna Halverson found the back of the net for the first time in her Billiken career, while Abbie Miller assisted for her first collegiate point.
• Mary Niehaus (two saves) posted her 34th career win, tying Amanda Martin for second place on the all-time Saint Louis list.
• The Bills outshot the Rams 12-5 overall and 8-3 in shots on goal. Nine different players had at least one shot, and seven different Billikens fired a shot on goal.
• SLU earned a 6-3 edge in corner kicks.
• Ten different player combinations have accounted for Saint Louis' 11 assisted goals this season.
• Alli Klug and Isabel Burke played all 90 minutes.
SAINT LOUIS STARTERS
Mary Niehaus, Alli Klug, Courtney Reimer, Alyssa Seitzer, Emma Farley, Hannah Friedrich, Brionna Halverson, Evie Lavelle, Anna Lawler, Isabel Burke, Emily Groark.
SAINT LOUIS SUBSTITUTES
Anna Walsh, Brianna Arthur, Sydney Beach, Annabelle Copeland, Sophia Denison, Abbie Miller, Karsen Kohl, Kasey Hartmann.
The Billikens take on VCU Thursday, Sept. 26. Game time in Richmond, Virginia, is 6 p.m. CDT.