WOMEN’S SOCCER PREVIEW: Saint Louis at SIUE
WHEN: Thursday, Aug. 31, 2017 • 7 p.m. CDT
WHERE: Korte Stadium • Edwardsville, Illinois
RECORDS: SLU 4-0, SIUE 2-1
SLU-SIUE SERIES: SLU leads 3-1-1
SLU-SIUE LAST MEETING: at SLU 4, SIUE 1 (Sept. 11, 2016)
BILLIKENS’ LAST GAME: SLU 3, at Arkansas State 2 (Aug. 27)
COUGARS’ LAST GAME: at SIUE 1, Western Illinois 0 (OT) (Aug. 24)
UP NEXT FOR THE BILLIKENS: at Missouri State • Sunday, Sept. 3 • 1 p.m. CDT • Springfield, Mo.
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS
• Attempting to become the first Billiken women’s soccer team to begin a season 5-0, Saint Louis makes the short trip to Edwardsville, Illinois, to take on SIUE of the Ohio Valley Conference Thursday, Aug. 31.
• At 4-0, Saint Louis has tied the 2000 and 2016 Billiken teams for SLU women’s soccer’s best four-game start.
• The Billikens remained unblemished by edging Arkansas State 3-2 Sunday afternoon in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Click here for a game recap.
• Alyssa Seitzer (2G, 3A) leads Saint Louis with seven points. Olivia Petit (3G) is second with six points, followed by Maddie Pokorny (2G, 1A) and Evie Lavelle (2G, 1A) with five points apiece. Click here for the Billikens’ complete statistics.
• SLU is tied for the Atlantic 10 Conference lead in shutouts (three). The Billikens rank second in the league in points per game (7.25), goals per game (2.50), goals against average (0.50), shots per game (19.00) and corner kicks per game (6.75). They are third in assists per game (2.25).
• Mary Niehaus is tied for the A-10 lead in shutouts (two) while ranking third in GAA (0.54) and tied for fourth in save percentage (.800).
• Alyssa Seitzer is tied for second in the conference in assists per game (0.75) and shots per game (4.00) and tied for fifth in points per game (1.75).
• Olivia Petit is tied for fifth in the A-10 in goals per game (0.75).
• Maddie Pokorny was named the Atlantic 10 Conference Offensive Player of the Week for helping lead Saint Louis to wins over Illinois State and Arkansas State last week. Click here for the story.
• The Billikens are ranked 11th in the United Soccer Coaches East Region poll.
• Saint Louis has a 14-5-4 record vs. teams from the Ohio Valley Conference.
• Katie Shields owns a 40-33-7 record in her fifth season as head coach.
A LOOK AT THE COUGARS
• SIUE, which was picked to finish second in the OVC, recorded one-goal wins over Cal Poly and Western Illinois following a season-opening loss to Clemson.
• The Cougars were 10-8-5 overall and 6-3-1 in the OVC (fourth place) in 2016. After capturing the OVC tournament title, SIUE eliminated 11th-ranked Notre Dame on penalty kicks in the NCAA Championship first round before falling 1-0 to Northwestern in the second round.
• Among SIUE’s 20 returning players are senior midfielder/forward Emily Grahl, a 2016 second-team All-Conference selection, and sophomore midfielder/forward Peyton Roehnelt, who made last year’s OVC All-Newcomer team.
• Senior forward Caroline Hoefert, who led the 2016 Cougars with 16 points (5G, 6A), is the 2017 team’s early scoring leader with five points (2G, 1A). Click here for the Cougars’ complete statistics.