WOMEN’S SOCCER PREVIEW: Saint Louis at Missouri State
WHEN: Sunday, Sept. 3, 2017 • 1 p.m. CDT
WHERE: Betty and Bobby Allison South Stadium • Springfield, Missouri
RECORDS: SLU 5-0, Missouri State 2-3
SLU-MISSOURI STATE SERIES: SLU leads 8-2-5
SLU-MISSOURI STATE LAST MEETING: at Missouri State 1, SLU 0 (Sept. 25, 2011)
BILLIKENS’ LAST GAME: SLU 3, at SIUE 0 (Aug. 31)
BEARS’ LAST GAME: at Missouri State 2, Southeast Missouri State 0 (Sept. 1)
UP NEXT FOR THE BILLIKENS: Kansas • Friday, Sept. 8 • 7 p.m. CDT • Hermann Stadium
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS
• Playing a third consecutive road game, Saint Louis women’s soccer tries to extend the best start in program history when the Billikens face intrastate rival Missouri State of the Missouri Valley Conference Sunday, Sept. 3.
• The 2017 Billikens became the first SLU women’s soccer team to begin a season 5-0 when they turned back SIUE 3-0 Aug. 31 in Edwardsville, Illinois. Click here for a game recap.
• The victory over SIUE gave Saint Louis a 2-0 road ledger for the first time since 2008. The 2005 Billikens own the program record for the best road mark (3-0) to start a season.
• Eleven players have at least one point in a balanced Billiken attack. Alyssa Seitzer (2G, 4A) leads Saint Louis with eight points. Maddie Pokorny (3G, 1A) is next with seven points, followed by Olivia Petit (3G) and Evie Lavelle (2G, 2A) with six points apiece. Click here for the Billikens’ complete statistics.
• SLU leads the Atlantic 10 Conference in shutouts (four). The Billikens rank second in the league in points per game (7.60), goals per game (2.60), assists per game (2.40), goals against average (0.40), shots per game (18.60) and corner kicks per game (7.20). They are third in assists per game (2.25).
• Mary Niehaus leads the A-10 and ranks seventh nationally in shutouts (three). Niehaus is third in GAA (0.43) and fifth in save percentage (.833) in the conference.
• Alyssa Seitzer is tied for second in the conference in assists per game (0.80). Seitzer is tied for fifth in shots per game (3.40) and tied for sixth in points per game (1.60).
• Maddie Pokorny is eighth in points per game (1.40). Pokorny and Olivia Petit are tied for eighth in goals per game (0.60).
• Maddie Pokorny was named the Atlantic 10 Conference Offensive Player of the Week for helping lead Saint Louis to wins over Illinois State and Arkansas State last week. Click here for the story.
• The Billikens are ranked 11th in the United Soccer Coaches East Region poll.
• Saint Louis has a 24-10-7 record vs. teams from the Missouri Valley Conference. The Bills defeated Illinois State 1-0 Aug. 25, and they take on Evansville Sept. 15.
• Katie Shields owns a 41-33-7 record in her fifth season as head coach.
A LOOK AT THE BEARS
• Missouri State was picked to finish seventh in the Missouri Valley Conference after placing seventh a year ago. The Bears returned seven starters and seven additional letter winners from their 2016 team that was 5-8-4 overall and 1-3-2 in the MVC.
• Saint Louis and Missouri State have played one common nonconference opponent. The Billikens topped Arkansas State 3-2, while the Bears lost 2-1 to the Red Wolves.
• Among MSU’s returning players are two 2016 All-Conference selections – senior midfielder Mary Disidore (first team) and senior forward Brooke Zimmerman (second team).
• Junior forward Brooke Prondzinski is the Bears’ scoring leader with five points (2G, 1A). Click here for Missouri State’s complete statistics.