WOMEN’S SOCCER PREVIEW: Saint Louis at Murray State
WHEN: Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017 • 2 p.m. CDT
WHERE: Cutchin Field • Murray, Kentucky
RECORDS: SLU 7-0-1, Murray State 6-0-0
SLU-MURRAY STATE SERIES: SLU leads 2-1-1 and has won two straight
SLU-MURRAY STATE LAST MEETING: at SLU 1, Murray State 0 (2 ot) (Sept. 20, 2016) RECAP
BILLIKENS’ LAST GAME: SLU 3, at Evansville 1 (Sept. 15) RECAP
RACERS’ LAST GAME: Murray State 1, at Morehead State 0 (Sept. 14) RECAP
UP NEXT FOR THE BILLIKENS: St. Bonaventure • Thursday, Sept. 21 • 7 p.m. CDT • Hermann Stadium
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS
• Saint Louis tries to complete its nonconference schedule undefeated and extend the best start in program history when the Billikens battle another unbeaten team, Murray State, Sunday afternoon.
• SLU and Murray State have played two common opponents this season. Both teams defeated Western Kentucky in exhibition action (SLU 4-0, Murray State 2-0). The Billikens topped Evansville 3-1 Friday night, while the Racers blanked the Purple Aces 5-0 in an exhibition game.
• Murray State is Saint Louis’ second Ohio Valley Conference opponent this season; the Billikens toppled SIUE 3-0. SLU is 15-5-4 all-time vs. OVC teams.
• The Billikens rank among the nation’s top 25 teams in nine categories including save percentage (17th), goals against average (18th), points per game (21st), goals per game (21st) and assists per game (23rd). Click here for SLU’s complete statistics.
• Saint Louis leads the Atlantic 10 Conference in points/game, goals/game, assists/game, GAA, shutouts and corner kicks/game.
• In a balanced Saint Louis attack, nine different players have scored at least one goal, and 12 different Billikens have at least one goal or one assist. Alyssa Seitzer owns team leads in points (12) and assists (six), while Maddie Pokorny has a team-high five goals and is second with 11 points.
• There have been 15 different goal-assist player combinations on the Billikens’ 17 assisted goals this season.
• The Billikens are ranked No. 10 in the United Soccer Coaches East Region poll. They received one vote in the United Soccer Coaches national poll.
• Katie Shields owns a 43-33-8 record in her fifth season as head coach.
A LOOK AT THE RACERS
• Murray State is favored to capture a third straight OVC title after sharing the 2016 crown and winning the 2015 championship outright.
• The Racers returned eight starters and 13 additional letter winners from last year’s team that finished 8-5-4 overall and 7-0-3 in the OVC.
• Senior forward Harriet Withers has scored eight of Murray State’s 14 goals. Withers, selected the OVC Offensive Player of the Year the past two seasons, leads the nation in game-winning goals (four) and shots on goal per game (3.67) while ranking second in goals per game (1.33).
• Also returning from last year’s team are senior defender Nyomi Devine, a second-team All-Conference honoree, and sophomore defender Karsyn Hasch, who made the 2016 OVC All-Newcomer squad.
• Click here for the Racers’ statistics and results.