The Academic Center has been provided for all Billiken student-athletes, allowing you to work in a productive environment to complete necessary coursework. This area will prove beneficial to the academic efforts of those who make use of it. The academic area affords a quiet, monitored environment where you can study, be tutored or use one of the computers to work on assigned class work and materials.
Hours of Operation
Monday-Thursday 8 a.m.-9 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
Sunday 5-9 p.m.
Hours are subject to change
Listed below are some of the resources provided within the Student- Athlete Academic Center:
1. Printing: Located in the academic center, we have a printer for students to print items as needed. Please be conscious to how much paper you are utilizing. If issues arise with the printer, please let someone on the Billiken Student-Athlete Academic Support Services staff know.
2. Book Check Out: We have books located in the quiet study area that we allow students to check out.
3. Calculator Check Out: We offer several types of calculators that can be checked out for use in math and financial classes offered at Saint Louis University.
4. Voice Recorder Check Out: A variety of voice recorders are available for check out.
5. Laptop Check Out: Laptops are available for team trips and are for exclusive use by Saint Louis University student-athletes. To reserve a laptop, a student-athlete must contact Billiken Student-Athlete Academic Support Services in person. Student- athletes are responsible for monitoring the use, transportation, and storage of the laptop once it has been checked out and until it has been returned. Work must be saved on the student's own disk. Files saved on the hard drive will be deleted. Laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Any damage or loss will be the financial responsibility of the student-athlete to whom the computer was checked out. If there is a need for software that is not already on the computer, notify Billiken Student-Athlete Academic Support Services. Please report any hardware or software problems to Billiken Student-Athlete Academic Support Services immediately upon discovery.
6. Kurzweil System: Kurzweil 3000 is research-based and enables struggling readers to learn from the same content as their peers as it provides access to virtually any text or curriculum, including print, electronic, and Web-based documents.
7. Dragon NaturallySpeaking Software: Dragon speech recognition software makes it easier for anyone to use a computer. You talk, and it types. Use your voice to create and edit documents or emails, launch applications, open files, control your mouse, and more. Quickly and easily capture your thoughts and ideas while Dragon helps you get more done faster.
Students must sign the Equipment Check-out Binder provided by Billiken Student-Athlete Academic Support Services when checking out books, calculators, voice recorders and laptops. Violations of this policy will be considered theft.
Academic Center Protocol
- You must check in and out by swiping your SLU ID, or by entering your Banner ID.
- All study hall hours must be completed before noon on Fridays.
- All students must come prepared to study, to attend a tutoring session orto work in the computer lab. Bring books and notes. If you are notprepared, you will be asked to leave and you will not be able to accrue hours.
- It is not a social or recreational period. Please minimize conversations in the Academic Center.
- Food, beverages, tobacco products, and other items that might soil or damage software or computers are allowed at the computer terminals.
- No profanity and no fighting, or you will be asked to leave the Academic Center.
- No sleeping. If you are caught sleeping, you will be asked to leave the Academic Center. If you have mandatory study time, you will lose your hours.
- No cell phones or pagers should be utilized in the study area or computer lab.
- Newspapers and magazines are allowed only as needed for class.
- If you are asked to leave the Academic Center for any reason, you will notbe allowed to return that day, and all hours earned for the day will be voided.
- Do not clock in and leave (for drink, food, bathroom, etc.); take care ofthis prior to arrival. Anyone caught in this act is subject to disciplinary measures.
Proper attire is expected in the Academic Center. Sweaty or dirty practice gear is unacceptable while in the study area. You are expected to be fully clothed and in BILLIKEN ATHLETIC ATTIRE ONLY. Anyone wearing athletic attire of another university will be asked to leave the study area immediately.
The Academic Center computers are to be used for academic purposes only. Listed below are some general rules when utilizing the computers in the lab.
- If you are coming into the lab to check email only, the time limit is 20minutes and then you must get off the computer.
- Playing games and viewing videos of any type, unless otherwise specified for a class, on the computers is not allowed.
- You are not allowed to visit any social networks while on the computers;this includes but is not limited to Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, Bebo, chatting, etc. If you are caught using any of these sites, you will be asked to leave thecomputer area and your hours will be terminated.
- Please do not unhook machines to plug in your laptops. The AcademicCenter has wireless Internet access.
- Any work saved to the Academic Center computers will be deleted.
- ALL WORK ON STUDY HALL COMPUTERS MUST BE FOR COURSEWORK ONLY.